Cancer Lifeline is seeking volunteers to provide emotional support and information to cancer patients, their families and friends. We currently have 3 hour shifts available during weekdays 9am-5pm.
SKILLS FOR A SUCCESSFUL LIFELINE VOLUNTEERS
- Comfortable listening to profound emotions and ability to be a good listener
- Ability to provide non-judgmental support to others
- Understanding that listening does not equal giving advice or fixing
- Participation in 30-hour training program
- 4 shifts per month
- Participation in 2-4 in-service meetings per year
- Prompt reporting using online call logs
- One year of service, however many of our volunteers choose to stay longer
MAJOR ROLES AND DUTIES
- To provide emotional support to clients by phone from the Cancer Lifeline office or from home
- To make referrals to Cancer Lifeline programs, other Cancer Lifeline personnel, and community services when appropriate.
- To help callers register for Cancer Lifeline classes using web based registration program.
“The skills I learned at Cancer Lifeline have changed my relationships.”
-Sara Beth, full time student and Lifeline Volunteer
To Apply, complete our Volunteer Application.